Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Minor Hiccup

Over the past week, my fiance and I have been trying to switch our mortgage loan to a SONYMA loan with the state of New York that is a new construction loan with a lock in period of 240 days because of the lower interest rate that we would get and the fact that we could lock in right now. We are also trying to figure out how to lose a half percent off of our interest rate by using an Energy Star program through SONYMA.  Let me just tell you it is has been more hassle than it is worth.  Our loan officer hasn't done many of these types of mortgages and neither has anyone in his office so he is not very knowledgeable about the many inspections that you have to do throughout the building process in order to be Energy Star certified.  It has been a really big headache especially because the people at SONYMA are really slow to respond to our loan officer.  With our house about to start drywall on Monday, we need to find out if there needs to be an inspection before the drywall goes up.  Needless to say, after talking to our sales rep at Ryan, she has said that holding off on the drywall will be like putting a wrench in a well-oiled machine.  In other words, that will screw up all of their scheduling of contractors and etc.  We are trying to get this sorted out by the end of the day tomorrow so that we have some answers.  But this whole thing has been one big giant disaster!  I wish someone could give us some answers!!!!!

In house news, they were working this week on fixing the few repairs that we pointed out at the pre-drywall walkthrough.  Apparently, they were also working on things that were not up to code with the town after they inspected.  I guess something was not right with a garage wall or something.  I'm not really sure what it was, my fiance was the one who talked to our PM about it.  They are also working on insulation and will start drywall on Monday.  So hopefully, I will post some new pics next week when I walk through to check that out.  Cross your fingers for us regarding our mortgage change-over...I just want it all to be settled and not have to think/worry about it anymoreeeeee! 

6 comments:

  1. I hope it all works out! I wonder if that loan is specific to new york?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...now I am a little confused. Ryan Homes is an Energy Star certified builder and to be able to claim this certification their homes have to be inspected along the way for certain Energy Star requirements which is exactly what you are talking about needing to occur. I assumed that Ryan Homes would be getting the appropriate inspections done so that the Energy Star certification can be awarded. Any one else know more about this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the homes are inspected to earn the energy star qualified rating...there not just given because of the materials they use....

    And Yes that New York loan program is exclusive to NY...My mom in law lives there and was telling me about it...

    I hope it all works out...because interest rates are slowly climbing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are already locked in at our interest rate apparently according to our loan officer. We are just trying to figure out what needs to happen to have the inspections done. Ryan is telling us one thing and the bank is saying another so we are getting conflicting reports. When I have an answer I will let everyone know. But STILL NOTHING as of 4:00 pm on Friday which is making me so much more frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it all works out for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just locked with NVR for 120 days at 4.75% I was way to nervous about rates climbing! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete